Feed on
Posts
Comments

1. White’s attitude in the opening paragraphs is positive and story-like. He remembers all of the good times that he went there in the past, and he is proud to take his son to the same place to make more memories.

2. White uses several original and creative expressions, such as:
“I was sure that the tarred road would have found it out…” (pg 451)
“I would dress softly so as not to wake the others…” (pg 451)
“I…saw the dragonfly alight on the tip of my rod…” (pg 452)
“…chucking the rowboat under the chin as we fished at anchor…” (pg 452)

3. In the first six paragraphs, White uses very descriptive, detail. For example, in the second paragraph he says, “I wondered how time wold have marred this unique, this holy spot- the coves and streams, the hill that the sun set behind, the camps and the paths behind the camps. I was sure that the tarred road would have found it out, and I wondered in what other ways it would be desolated.” The effect of all this detail is to really give the reader a sense of where White is and what the lake (and its surroundings) look like. It makes the story more personable.

4. Some examples of figurative language include:
“There were cottages sprinkled around the shores…”
“This was the background, and the life along the shore was the design…”
“The one-luggers throbbed and fluttered, and the twin-cylinder ones purred and purred, and that was a quiet sound, too.”
Much of the figurative language decribes the environment of the lake and it paints a picture almost. It is so detailed that it is easy to picture.

5. Sight- “It was a fairly large and undisturbed lake and there were places in it that, to a child at least, seemed infinitely remote and primeval.” The reader can picture how secluded and peaceful the camp must be.
Sound- “The one-luggers throbbed and fluttered, and the twin-cylinder ones purred and purred, and that was a quiet sound, too.” A reader gets the sense of how quiet it is, despite the boats, because they, too, are quiet.
Touch- “I watched him, his hard little body, skinny and bare, saw him wince slightly as he pulled up around his vitals the small, soggy, icy garnment. As he buckled the swollen belt, suddenly my groin felt the chill of death.” It shows how cold the water swim trunks are.
Taste- “There was a choice of pie for dessert, and one was blueberry and one was apple…” It relates the story to the audience and what they think of pie/how it tastes.
Smell- “the smell of the swamp drift in through the rusty screens.” It shows the down side of the camp with the swamp/rusty smell.

6. Paragraph 10 is talking about how peaceful it is there. It serves the purpose of discription and persuation. The descriptions of the lake and the cars gives people a sense of what it is like, and they believe what he says about the cars and motors.

7. The specific details of parapgraph 11 are very story-like, or almost a journal entry. They allow the reader to truly picture what a day at the camp is like.

8. The last sentene in paragraph 8 begins with “And” This connects two almost separate ideas without much notice of their difference. People get a picture of the story, then are forced to think of the irony between the sentences. The “and” provides flow, and meaning of the last sentece.

9. In the final paragraph of the essay, the reader is able to visualize the boy putting on cold swim trunks and they can imagine how cold his body must be. It shows that we all see ourselves in someone else and seeing them take the same actions we did, brings memories. Sometimes it can hurt being reminded.

10. White uses the word “and” about a total of 152 times. Often, he uses it to connect several items into one flowing train of thought. If he used any other type of punctuation or wording it would have broken the flow and created a choppy feel, rather than a smooth, story-like descriptions of his camp experiences.